Sunday 1 July 2007

So far so good...

My scanner doesn't want to play greyscale games, which is why my sketches have a sepia tone. Here's what I have so far. The outline around the fret board looks rather like the traditional lute, but I haven't found a design I'm happy with yet, despite a myriad of notes - all of which are in the bin. The problem is, while the real Dulcimer has a beautiful sound, I wanted a richer tonal quality, one that would carry further. That means I need to have a deeper and wider body. This lute shape would work for that, but I also have to consider ergonomics. If the instrument is to be played on the lap -- which I wanted -- a wider, guitar shape wouldn't work, and neither would the rounded back of the lute. It looks like I'm going to end up with something very close to the Dulcimer after all.

Still haven't found a name. Any tips on making up names, anyone?

No comments: