Wednesday 27 June 2007

So I did...


I had to put aside the book I’ve been trying and failing to write for the last six years. I made so many changes to it, and got so tied up in knots over it, that I forgot the point of the story. I’ve spent a long time trying to press on with it, but it has feelings of deep inadequacy attached to it. My decision to put it aside wasn’t easy. I like to complete something once I’ve started it. But someone recently said to me, if it’s not working, move on and do something else. Seemed so simple put like that.

I’ve left it having written a couple of chapters I’m happy with, so I look forward to going back to it another time.

So I've just completed the first two chapters of another story I’ve been brewing, and I feel better. Those six years are not wasted time because I've been on a steep learning curve. My writing has improved, and my approach to this one is entirely different. Nothing is ever wasted.

Oh, the pic? My new protagonist.

4 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Did you really draw that? I wish I could draw. She looks determined and maybe dealing with a secret pain in her heart. I already hopes she kicks butt!
;)

Henny said...

Yep, all me own work. I just remembered at the last minute to copyright it. I was inspired when Merc started a CC Fan Art thread. I drew a character from one of her stories and then badly wanted to draw my own. Wow - I don't want to stop now, cos even tho' I drew her, I don't know what she's thinking right there. I'm getting more story ideas, just wondering what's going through her head in that picture, where she's just been, what she's done, etc.

She's very determined, and she has... issues, yes. You'll find out as I submit chapters for shredding *coughs* critiquing, I mean. Does she kick butkis? Does she heck. By ch 4 she's Wanted, and on the run for killing two of the King's soldiers.

Henny said...

Oops, I used a Kimberism. You want me to delete it?

Merc said...

As I've said before, beautiful drawing, Henny! :) (And I loved what you did with Damain!) You captured the right spark of emotion and determination in her face there--great job. She looks so interesting, I'd like to read about her now…

Keep drawing!

~Merc