Thursday 14 June 2007

Why Critique Circle?


I recently took a look at some of my writing from this time last year. It was cringeworthy at best. But the last story I put up for review at CC, a few weeks ago, had some very positive feedback, and my writing has clearly improved.


Why? Well, firstly because I bit the bullet and put it up for review in the first place. If I'd never done that, I'd never have known how awful it was. Secondly, I took to heart the advice I was given, and worked on the aspects of my writing that needed improving. Thirdly, I kept on writing, even when I couldn't see any marked improvement. And I critiqued. Critiqueing other people's writing is a wonderful way to learn to spot the errors you make in your own, because it's hard to look subjectively at your own work.

I made friends, and my confidence has improved. And I've read some very good stories, too. Critique Circle is a community of writers from all levels, from those new to the craft, to seasoned, published writers, and in my experience, the feedback is always useful, no matter who critiques.

If you're interested in writing, click on the link at the side and go have a look. You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Henny speaks truth! I always recommend CC to anyone who'll listen...and some who won't.
;)

Henny said...

She'll break you with Weird Al until you listen compliantly.

Kimber Li said...

"So, don't be vain and don't be whiney, or brother, I might just have to get medieval on your hiney!" So, get that hiney over to Critique Circle or a supportive real life writers' group. It does make a lot of difference.
;)

The above line is from Weird Al's song 'Amish Paradise.' My apologies to the Amish and all individuals of medieval origin who have hineys.

P.S. 'Hiney' is American slang for buttocks, a derivitive of 'hind-end.' Amazing what you can learn in the Blogsphere, ain't it?

Merc said...

I completely second the recommendation of Critique Circle! My writing has improved so much since joining CC -- that and I've made new friends, got myself a cyber twin, and always had a blast on the site. B-)

~Merc